Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday - People are Awesome

I posted yesterday about a collection going on in Fairfax, Virginia to be delivered to those in need from Sandy.  It was so heartwarming and I hope a lot of people take advantage of this time to do something so huge for people so in need.  
While I was trying to figure out screen shots to share the information - I saw something else that just made me so thankful and happy and get all weepy.  My favorite place to go for drinks and dinner, Vino e Formaggio, shared some information on their wall about Thanksgiving:

Doesn't it make you cry?  Its beyond sweet and I can't wait to hear how it goes.  Maybe I can install hidden cameras or something so I can sneak a peak at the happenings while we are doing our own Thanksgiving.

And then my friend Kristin posted this on my wall: 












This was such good news as I wouldn't be able to drive out to Fairfax tomorrow and we really don't have the funds this week to buy extra.  Now I can get into the attic for our extra coats, pull together the clothes I had set aside for donating, and check sale ads for deals on items that are needed.  Yay!  

Source - Liveinthenow.com

So besides being thankful for these people in my life and in my town who want to pull together to help others, I have spent a lot of time this week thinking of how thankful I am for the little things that others might not have had with Hurricane Sandy and then with the Nor'easter Athena. 

I am so thankful for my home, my 75 year old furnace that heats my home, my silly striped socks that keep my feet warm in my boots, my favorite blankets that I keep in each room ready for snuggling.  I am thankful for my old wood floors that don’t ever seem cold on our feet.  I am thankful for my coffee maker that brews my favorite organic, fair trade coffees for me. I am thankful for my not so creepy basement that has a french drain and keeps it from flooding.  I am thankful for neighbors who look out for each other and my great location so we can walk anywhere.  When I was 9 months pregnant with Liam, Tim was out of town and we got the first of two huge snowstorms. We had 2 feet of snow on the ground and I was home with the 2 boys thinking that if I went into labor - I could just walk to the hospital!  

I am thankful for old friends and new friends and knowing that I can count on people if we need anything.  I am thankful that today I got to have lunch with Tim and Liam and Kyle at Kyle's school.  We even stayed for recess and got to see Kyle keeping an eye out for Liam and Liam hold his own with the big kids.  We got to get lots of hugs from Kyle in front of his friends.  And once we got home Liam brought me a teddy bear that was scared of a raccoon and we worked it all out.  I am thankful that the Angry Birds people made a Star Wars edition because it has made my kids so happy from the moment it was downloaded.  I am thankful to be here and to get to enjoy all of this every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment